Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Goodbye Coralville, IA Hellooooo Spearfish, SD


Wow, has it really been a whoooole month since my last post??? Time sure does fly when you're busy. Well I guess i'll get to a few reasons why I haven't posted in so long. First off, I have been really busy. Working in AmeriCorps sure does keep you going. Also, I took a few days of personal leave and made a much needed visit back home to see friends and family. And even went to my old college and saw some familiar faces. And another thing, I strained my lower back. So i've spent a lot of time, outside of work, resting and relaxing so I can get back to normal. Still hurts a little bit but am almost there.

So this past month has seen many things. Invasive species removal, prescribed burnings, Earth Day event at Coralville Lake, finding out our new project, and then transition back on campus in Vinton.
Prescribed burnings were really cool. It gave us a chance to work outside but even cooler we got to "play" with fire. Prescribed burnings purpose is to burn out or kill that which is not wanted or harmful to the native plants in the area, that way new and greater things can grow and flourish in its native environment. Its some pretty cool stuff and a lot of fun to take part in.

Closer to the end of the project, the last day actually, was the Earth Day event at Coralville Lake where we led a group of about 100-120 volunteers on different tasks around Coralville Lake. I was sent to the TSI (timber stand improvement) area where myself and 2 other teammates plus Sarah (intern) led about 30 or so volunteers on clearing out this one area of limbs and trees. Anything from chainsawing to using the wood chipper was used for this task.
Ok, so you might be wondering where my next 6-8 weeks will be spent....well if you read the title of this post then you already know. But anyway, my team and I will be leaving tomorrow morning, bright and early, for Spearfish, South Dakota. We will be working with the Spirit of the Hills Wildlife Sanctuary with 300 + different types of animals! Its pretty sweet and we're all really excited. One bummer part about this project, though, is that there will be no internet access at our project. We MIGHT be able to go to the local library once a week but that's it. So my posts might be limited. I sure will try though! I'm sorry this post isn't too exciting but like I said i've been busy and have been unable to at times as well. I hope everyone is doing well and I should have some pretty sweet pics of the animals up soooon!!! ( I hope)

"My time is up, I thank you for yours." God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment